Monday, August 05, 2002

BALLERINA GIRL

growing up, whenever i heard that song by lionel richie, i would secretly wish that someday, i'd be at a dance and out of the blue, my special guy would dedicate that song to me. i still think it's a sweet idea, but i think it would make me sad more than anything 'cuz i'm no longer a ballerina girl. that, and the notion of me being at a dance with a special guy seems very far off at the moment... but that's not what i wanted to write about today. :P

i got a call from an auntie this evening, asking me whether i'd be able to dance for her music group's outreach concert at the end of the month. it's a chinese christian group and they do a lot of music ministry. unfortunately, i haven't danced in three years, and three weeks would not be enough time for me to prepare something (especially since it's a chinese song!). so i had to tell her no for this time.

deep inside, i miss dancing a lot. sometimes, i wonder how different i would be now if i had majored in dance rather than visual art when i was in high school. but i feel like i'm still waiting to return to dance. although, i'm not sure if i'd go back to ballet.

one of my dreams is to take some modern classes, learn sign language and combine them in worship. i know people have done this already. some call it body worship or interpretive dance. it's sort of ironic that i'm currently preparing one for this saturday. but i want to be able to express the songs with a solid knowledge of what movements i'm using. i want it to be an educated piece of art so that i'm really giving my best to God. it saddens me that dance is not incorporated into our worship more and that so few people are encouraged to learn it.

i'm biased though. i'm a kinetic worshipper; my heart worships most fully when my body reflects my emotions.

Let Israel rejoice in their Maker;
let the people of Zion be glad in their King.
Let them praise his name with dancing
and make music to him with tambourine and harp.
Psalm 149:2-3

No comments: