Thursday, July 17, 2003

RAISON D'ETRE

seems to me that the book du jour is the Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren. every cell group i see is going through that book. people are mentioning it left, right and center. i was given it for my birthday. and since i've been asking God what He wants me to do with my life, i've started reading it as well. anywho, something that is becoming very clear to me is God's call for me to China. and along with this call, comes the challenge to encourage more Canadian born Chinese students to consider it.

here's my line of thinking. God made me for a purpose. God promises to fulfill the purposes He has for me (Psalm 138:8.) the ultimate purpose for anything is that at the end of the day, all things will be held under the headship of Christ (Eph. 1:10.) so to tie those thoughts together, God has made me as i am so that i can help bring people to Christ.

i know that God does not make mistakes. so there is a reason why i am born as a Chinese girl in this age to Christian parents. and there is a reason why i was raised in Toronto.

growing up as a CBC, my peers and i often looked down on the fact that we were Chinese. we made jokes about China and poked fun at the cultural customs and tendencies. we were proud of our identities as Canadians but not so much as Chinese. but now i realize that that attitude was disrespecting God. it was He who brought our parents out of China so that we could come to know Christ in this free country of Canada. it was His plan that this new generation of Chinese people would have the financial stability, spiritual foundation and network of support to be sent back to their homeland to reach the 1.3 billion people who share their heritage but are dying without Christ (23,000 a day). it was also in His divine plan that we would be ready to minister in an age when hearts are open and there is a window of opportunity to reach China before materialism takes root. God makes no mistakes. and that is why i believe that in the coming few years, many of the youth in the chinese churches in Canada will be hearing the call to reach China. all in His perfect time.

The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me.
~Psalm 138:8~

No comments: