Monday, July 21, 2003

LEARNING FROM CHILDREN

ABOUT FAITH
yesterday, my pastor told us about a game his one-year-old daughter made up. she'll be happily playing in the room with her daddy when all of a sudden, he'll look around and find that she's not there anymore. then, he'll see that she's at the foot of the staircase, giggling away, teasing her daddy to come chase her. her daddy slowly creeps toward her and she scrambles up the stairs. by the time he reaches the stairs, she's four or five steps up. then, in an act of pure and complete trust, she freefalls backwards, fully expecting to land in her daddy's arms.

ABOUT TRANSPARENCY
my parents and i spent the afternoon watching old family videos from my 4th and 5th birthday parties. other than being highly amusing, i noticed that when it came time for unwrapping the gifts, my little friends would hand me their gift and while i was busy tearing the paper off, they'd tell my mom what was inside. it dawned on me that somewhere on the road to adulthood, we've all gotten very good at keeping secrets. too good, even. we've learned to pretend that things are ok when they aren't. and most of us present ourselves to people based on the way we want them to think of us.

no wonder Jesus told us to learn from the little children!

And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
~Matthew 18:3~

No comments: