Saturday, July 06, 2002

ON FRIENDSHIP

it dawned on me today that the older people get, the harder it becomes for friends to stay close.

looking at my parents' generation, it's very rare to see the same level of friendship between peers as we have in ours. as people finish school, get jobs, move away, get married and have families, it takes more and more effort to maintain the kind of accountability and support that is such a huge part of our student lives. if you ask me if i have friends right now who i could share my toughest struggles with, who'll pray for me and check up on me, i could name you a handful. but how many friendships like these do you see in the generations above us?

looking ahead, i'm afraid of the changes my friendships will go through. i want to desperately hold on to what i enjoy right now. but i know i will have to choose the ones i am willing to let go of and which ones i will sacrifice for in order to keep. i don't know if all close friends inevitably drift, but i pray that i will always have at least one friend i can confide in and pray with throughout my walk in life. she won't ever take the place of Jesus, but she'll be the human extension of Jesus to me.

"A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother."
Proverbs 18:24

No comments: