Monday, October 07, 2002

STRANDED

I lift my eyes up to the mountains,
where does my help come from?
My help comes from You, Maker of Heaven,
Creator of the earth.
Oh how I need you Lord, You are my only hope,
You're my only prayer,
So I will wait for You to come and rescue me,
Come and give me life.

last night, while i was driving home on the highway, my car broke down. by God's grace, i had enough momentum in my car to pull onto the shoulder of an offramp before it stopped moving completely. i was driving alone and it was about 9:30pm. i had enough batteries in my cell phone to call home and tell my dad where i was. after that, i could only sit in the darkness, wait and pray. i was quite frustrated when the phone died but in the midst of my chaotic mind, Psalm 121 broke through. He will not let your foot slip - he who watches over you will not slumber....so i will wait for You to come and rescue me.

about half an hour later, a tow truck came by and the driver was nice enough to let me use his cell phone. i contacted my dad again and he told me that my mom was on her way to find me (as i'd taken my dad's car that night). not long after that, my mom arrived and we could finally sort things out.

in the process of it all, i learned that the tow truck driver was out to catch unsuspecting victims and charge exhorbitant amounts for the service. when i asked him how much his fees were, he explained that if the OPP got to my car and ordered him to tow it out of the way, it would be $150. if we wanted him to tow our car before the police got there, it would be $75 for the hook up and $2/km thereafter. the regular rate should have been somewhere between $30-$40. needless to say, we kept with my dad's friend's towing service.

in the end, i got home 1 1/2 hours later than i'd expected with a few important lessons learned:
- God is faithful. don't doubt Him.
- always go to the bathroom before you leave 'cuz you never know how long you might have to wait
- i need a new cell phone battery
- don't trust highway tow truck drivers. they prowl around looking for prey. (reminds me of someone else in this world who does this on a spiritual level...)

Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings.
~1 Peter 5:8-9~

No comments: