Tuesday, January 01, 2008

PROMISE FOR THE NEW YEAR

The Word for today in Streams in the Desert is from Deuteronomy 11:10-12:
For the land, into which you are entering to possess it, is not like the land of Egypt from which you came, where you used to sow your seed and water it with your foot like a vegetable garden. But the land into which you are about to cross to possess it, a land of hills and valleys, drinks water from the rain of heaven, a land for which the LORD your God cares; the eyes of the LORD your God are always on it, from the beginning even to the end of the year.[NASB]

This first day of the new year, we stand on the threshold to another 365 days that lie ahead of us. To me, this passage speaks truth about my life. The land I came from was a land of self-effort. It was a small land, a garden patch. The land I am about to possess is a land of hills and valleys - a vast expanse of discovery, joys and sorrows. It is a land that is cared for by the LORD Himself. I look forward in anticipation to possessing this land that offers me a fullness and richness that I could not come about by my own work.

I read this verse to my mom tonight and she asked the question, "Are you ready?" Ready for what? I wondered. "A lot of people aren't ready for hills and valleys." I don't feel unready. I am confident because I know God will only lead me there when I'm ready and that when that time comes, He will go with me.

Bring on 2008!

All the days ordained for me

were written in your book

before one of them came to be.
~Psalm 139:16~

No comments: