Tuesday, January 29, 2008

NOT EVEN A PENNY OF HELP

I'm not sure why, but the recent violence in Kenya has touched a tender spot in my heart. Perhaps it's all the unnecessary killings and seeing the futility of trying to use violence to bring about change. I don't know. But I read the news and my heart weeps as I imagine all the displaced people who are living in such terror day and night. All that chaos with no where to turn.

And I'm halfway around the world enjoying my comfortable home and stable life.

I went on the Canadian Food for the Hungry site to see if there was anything I could do to bring Christ's love and presence to these people. According to the site, there are an estimated 250,000 people who are displaced because of this turmoil. That means, to help each person with only a dollar, that would be $250,000.

Sigh. I'm sad that I cannot even give 1 cent of help to each person. But I can trust that what I can give, the Lord has accepted and blessed.

You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don’t give reluctantly or in response to pressure. “For God loves a person who gives cheerfully.”
~2 Corinthians 9:7~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,Olive, I was shocked by that news too. I agree with you, show God's love is worthy.