Sunday, May 02, 2004

PEACE, SAFETY AND GOD'S HANDS

two thoughts, one image.

one. for the past month or so, i've been dealing with anxiety stemming from the upcoming changes in my life (ie, i'm moving away for a year) coupled with a lack of consistent times with God. on friday, our fellowship did a review on the book of philippians in the form of a scavenger hunt. for one of the activities, we were told to find the room with the overhead projector and think about the word that was on the wall. the word that we had to reflect upon was peace. and honestly, that was the exact word i needed to be reminded of. i'd never intentionally sat down to think about what peace was, things associated with it or what God says about it so it was an awesome experience just letting my mind explore the word. i concluded that my definition of peace for now is resting cradled in the hand of God.

two. a bunch of people from my church came to my house on saturday to hear me share about what made me decide to go for a year of missions. naturally, many people had concerns for my parents, asking them if they were scared to see their only daughter go so far away. my dad's response was that no matter where we go in life, there is no safe place. the safest place we think is our house, but even there, freak accidents can happen - eg, a number of years ago, a plane crashed into a house down the street from us. i'd like to think that the safest place to be is in the hands of God. 'cuz no matter what happens externally, if my soul is secure, i'm secure.

and so, i am at peace. and how very sweet that is.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
~Philippians 4:6-7~

No comments: