Tuesday, July 07, 2009

HEALING THE WORLD

Even though I'm an 80's kid, I've never been a follower of Michael Jackson or his music. But something prompted me to log in to CNN to watch the public memorial service this morning. I caught the tail end of the extravaganza. What moved me most was that I was watching the impact that one artist had on the lives of millions of people.

I was affirmed in my belief that the arts has a powerful role to play in connecting to people's souls. The arts, be it music, dance, film, theatre or visual art, carry within them the potential to bring healing to the deepest parts of a person. Watching Usher sing "Gone Too Soon" was an example of how a song could communicate so much more deeply what was being felt.

Art gives the soul a voice and the vocabulary to express itself. In our busy, noisy lives today, the soul's voice is often lost, forgotten or even unwelcome. The arts provide a safe place for the soul to emerge.

I don't know what the Lord has in mind for me, but I know He made me an artist for a reason. My hope is that I would be able to honour Him with what I've got.

"I thought about the former days,
the years of long ago;
I remembered my songs in the night.
My heart mused and my spirit inquired..."
~Psalm 77:5-6~

No comments: