Thursday, April 09, 2009

WHEN GOD DISAPPOINTS

Last week at church, Darrel Johnson gave a message on Palm Sunday. He unpacked the story of Jesus entering Jerusalem on the donkey, explaining that Jesus' actions were completely different from the people's expectations of the Messiah. They were hoping for a political saviour but He saw their deeper need of a saviour from sin and death. One of the conclusions that impacted me the most was this: God would rather disappoint us in order to meet our deepest needs than meet our surface expectations.

As I think about my life and the times I have been disappointed by God's actions/inaction, it encourages me to think that His love and concern for me goes deeper than simply trying to keep me happy. In the moments when it seems He isn't there, He's probably at work in a place I'm not even aware of.

Yet Jerusalem says, “The Lord has deserted us;
the Lord has forgotten us.”
“Never! Can a mother forget her nursing child?
Can she feel no love for the child she has borne?
But even if that were possible,
I would not forget you!
~ Isaiah 49:14-15 [NLT] ~

No comments: