Saturday, June 21, 2008

TELL ME, DO YOU KNOW LOVE?

Out of all the heartwrenching stories I've heard so far about the survivors of the China earthquake, this one touches me the most. I actually didn't see the photo myself, but my mom told me about it and even in my mind's eye, it's a devestatingly beautiful picture.

Apparently, in one of the rescue efforts, workers found a baby still alive in his mother's lap. The mother had used her body as a shelter to ward off the falling bricks and pieces of debris. In the process, she lost her life. But her baby lived. And somehow, before life slipped away from her, she'd managed to scribble out a note. On a scrap of paper, she'd written, "Son, if someone finds you and you're alive, please know that your mother loves you very much."

I can't even begin to imagine the magnitude and impact this one note will have on the life of this child. I would think that every day of his life would be shaped by the knowledge that his mother gave up her life for him.

And I marvel: if this is what human love is capable of, how much greater is the love of God our Father, who gave His Son for us?

If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!
~Matthew 7:11~

1 comment:

tim chan said...

what a powerful image. if only we understood the price that was paid for us to have life.

lots of great blogs here olive.

T