Wednesday, May 28, 2008

MY FATHER'S KITCHEN

A recent image that has given me strength is a picture of a banquet table, laden with lots of dishes, platters and bowls. They're filled to overflowing, but not with food. In one vessel, there is "joy", in another, "peace". Another plate has a heap of "strength," another dish has "perspective" and so on.

God is the Dad who has prepared this lavish meal and has called me down to eat with a hearty "sik fan la!" (for those who don't know cantonese, that's like "dinnertime!") I'm free to come and take whatever I need whenever I feel "hungry." I can also come rummage through His kitchen at any time of the day or night. Or if I have friends over, I can feel free to feed them too. This image has been a wonderfully uplifting reminder to me that I have all the resources I need to cope with whatever I'm feeling or facing in the moment. His grace truly IS sufficient.

Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare.
~Isaiah 55:2~

No comments: