Thursday, February 16, 2006

PERSPECTIVE

Two tidbits of perspective today:

1. There is no power shortage in the world. According to my prof, if we could harness all the electricity that comes down to us as lighting, we would have enough electricity for the whole world and more to spare. The problem is not that we have a lack of electricity. The problem is a lack of technology. The same goes for our spiritual life. Those who have Christ also have the incomparable power that Paul can only compare to the power that raised Christ to life from the dead. (Did you get that irony? It's incomparable but he still tries to compare it!) Our problem is not power shortage. It's technology shortage - otherwise known as a shortage of faith.

2. I'm more idealistic than I'd like to be. Talking to a counsellor today about my recent battles of the mind, she encouraged me by pretty much saying that there will be more to come. Part of me does not want to accept that as the truth. I wish I could fight the battle once and be done with it. But the truth is that following Christ will mean persecution from the enemy. So I have no option but to cling to the greater truth: That God is with me and that His grace is sufficient.

I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is like the working of his mighty strength, which he exerted in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms, far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every title that can be given, not only in the present age but also in the one to come.
~Ephesians 1:18-21~

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's funny that you write about the nearness and sufficiency of the Lord. That's what I'm going through too.

It's a blessing to learn this.

ols said...

hey shoes,
Thanks for your words of encouragement. It's definitely been hard lately. And it's nice to know that there are friends who remember me and remember me for who I am. Although, in many ways, i think i'm more of a shadow of who i used to be in T.O. ...which is ok too because in the words of John the Baptist "He must become greater, I must become less." But dying to self is hard nonetheless. As for singing... I still sing, but mostly God hears it these days. Thanks for reminding me to sing more.