Sunday, April 18, 2004

IT WASN'T THAT EASY

so seven weeks after the release of a movie isn't too bad, is it? ;p yes, on the third attempt, my plans to watch The Passion of the Christ with my friend *finally* worked out. :D and now i can actually say that i don't think it was worth all that hype. not to say i thought the movie was bad. it was definitely a well made movie. and a powerful movie (which, i believe is due to having the most powerful story to begin with). it also did get people thinking about Jesus and hopefully more interested in reading the Bible for themselves (at least it did for my friend). but, it was a movie.

coming out of it, i had two main thoughts. the first one being, this is my life. this act that i and all the people in the theatre with me were watching is the reason i live. it's the reason i'm putting aside my theatre ambitions for at least this year. it's the reason why i'm taking one of the scariest steps of my life so far to move to a different country. it's the reason i breathe. it was actually kind of odd for me watching Christ's crucifixion portrayed on the big screen. Jesus' death and resurrection have always been an intensely personal experience for me. i mean, when i read the scriptures, i imagine it in my head, right? so here i am, watching someone else's picture of what they think it looked like. and my friend sitting next to me is essentially watching the core of who i am. weird.

my second thought came to me near the end of the movie. the words that came to mind as the camera panned out into a birds-eye view of the three crosses were, it wasn't that easy, which seams like a strange thought to come right after seeing such a graphic death. my first reaction to those words were, "easy?? easy???? that was hardly anything but easy..." but what it meant was that what i just watched was a movie. it was a bunch of makeup and latex. yes, it was hard work and an excruciating process for both the actors and the audience to go through, but in reality, we can never grasp the sheer massiveness of Christ's sacrifice. there is just no way we, with our finite minds, can ever fathom the extent of the experience - no amount of blood or torture will ever do it justice. no words, no images, no thoughts. we just don't know. and the worst experience we can imagine is comparatively easy to what it took for Jesus to defeat Satan. and all for us?!!!

so i come away from this movie realizing two things. one, that Jesus Christ is more real to me than i thought. and two, that i can identify with Paul when he said that he was the worst of sinners. i am taken aback at the graciousness and generosity of God. and i am in full admiration of the perseverence of Christ - that He did not turn away and take the easy road out.

all for me.

all for you.

all for us.

Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners–of whom I am the worst.
~ 1 Timothy 1:15 ~

No comments: