Thursday, August 25, 2011

DOES LOVE GROW WITH KNOWLEDGE?

T and I had an interesting conversation with a friend last night.  In the course of our conversation, we stumbled upon this question, "Does growing your knowledge of a person enable your love for them to grow?"

For example, when I married T, I could wholeheartedly say that I loved him.  But in the last 3 years, I have gotten to know him so much better than the day we got married.  So my love for him now includes all those dimensions of him (positive and negative) that I had previously not known.  Likewise, our friend yesterday shared with us something that we hadn't known before, so now, when we think of our friendship and the love we have for our friend, it includes that added dimension.

Or perhaps the love itself does not grow.  Perhaps what grows with knowledge is the awareness of what our love encompasses.  After all, love is a choice.

As it relates to God, I can say today that I love God, but each day as I discover more of Him and experience more with Him, that little word takes on richer and fuller meaning.

Any thoughts?

No comments: