Thursday, December 24, 2009

A CHRISTMAS PRAYER

I am standing in a stable.  They tell me the Son of God was born here tonight.  I stare.  I am shocked.  The baby!  The baby is so small!  This is God?!?

Mary invites me closer.  "Would you like to hold him?" she asks.  I nod.

As I cradle him in my arms, I am mesmerized.  All the hope of the world, all the good, all the peace that exists, all these and more were contained in his tiny features.  And I, I am holding him.

His eyes are closed.  He turns his head, shifting in his sleep.  So delicate, so beautiful, so unassuming. Overwhelmed with gratitude, I begin to softly hum.
          A refuge for the poor, a shelter from the storm,
             This is our God.
          He will wipe away your tears, return your wasted years,
              This is our God.
         Oh call on his name, he is mighty to save
              This is our God.

He hears me.  The child stirs and opens his eyes.  And the world is suddenly awash with Love.

This is our God!

No comments: