Thursday, October 01, 2009

BEAUTY FROM THE PAIN

A most curious incident happened at dinner last night.  Tim's parents are in town and they wanted Greek food, so we tried out a place nearby.  The ambience was quite nice and we decided to go for some lamb and some seafood.  We were pretty much enjoying our dinner and joking about who would take the last oyster when Tim decided he would just take a tiny piece of it to try.  No sooner had he popped it into his mouth when "pft!" he spit out a small white chunk of... pearl!  The waitress would not believe that we found a pearl in the oyster.  Apparently, it had never happened before.

Aside from being amusing, I found the appearance of this pearl as strangely timely.  You see, this past Saturday, as I was praying for a friend, I saw a picture of a pearl and the words, "The discomfort will result in beauty" along with it.  It was a message for my friend, but I also think it was a message for me and for Tim.  We are in a place where things are not comfortable and we'd rather squirm out of it.  But I believe that God wants us to persevere.  To allow Him to shape the pain into something beautiful, precious and lasting.

The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me,
       because the LORD has anointed me...

to provide for those who grieve in Zion—
       to bestow on them a crown of beauty
       instead of ashes,

the oil of gladness
       instead of mourning,
       and a garment of praise
       instead of a spirit of despair. 


~ Isaiah 61: 1 & 3 ~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Neat! I miss your posts...