Saturday, November 08, 2008

IT'S OVER MY HEAD

Last night, Tim and I watched The Devil Wears Prada. I see similarities between myself and Andy, the main character who cared nothing about fashion yet found herself working for one of the biggest personalities in the fashion industry.

I have a husband, a home and a secure place of work. And I live in a beautiful city with many good friends. While many people I know have asked for this kind of life, I never did. I honestly wasn't chasing after this life. Sure, deep down I longed for it. But I was expecting something completely opposite to this, actually. Just over two short years ago, I was gearing up for a future of singleness, moving around and much transition. And I thought I would be living in pollution central.

God has a funny way of interrupting my plans. I realize that I often expect the worst of Him. As if it wouldn't be right if He gave me a life that met my needs. As if I should only think that the hardest path for me to take would be the one He would pick out for me. I subscribe too much to the "deny myself" camp without really believing that Jesus loves me.

I forget His grace.

What puzzles me is why someone like me who wasn't even looking for these things, gets them, while so many others keep wishing.

The answer to that, I suppose, is also His grace.

But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
~ Matthew 6:33 ~

No comments: