Monday, December 03, 2007

ALL THINGS NOT EQUAL

I bought a bunch of bamboo a couple months back. Since they were too long, I cut off some inches from the bottom before I stuck them in a vase of water. They have now happily grown a healthy entanglement of roots.

The short bits that I cut off, I stuck in their own little glass container with some pretty white pebbles to keep them standing straight. I'd seen a friend do this before and hers started to grow leaves. I figured I might as well give it a try too. I put my little "garden" next to the sink in my bathroom. I like how it greens things up.

Anyway, they have started to grow leaves. What intrigues me though is that some of them have leaves about 3 inches long, while others are only just starting to show a little nub. In observing their growth, I've realized that God's creativity extends to the timing of things. I mean, He could easily make them all grow at the same rate - and the human perfectionist in me would be more satisfied if that were the case - but He doesn't.

In the same way, I think He allows people to grow at different rates as well. Too often, we are tempted to compare ourselves with others (imagine one bamboo comparing itself with another one!) and we might even complain that God's not being fair, but reality is that His love and grace is just as plentiful for each of us and that He is glorified in the variety and differences.

God...makes things grow.
~1 Corinthians 3:7~

No comments: