Saturday, April 08, 2006

FOUR HOURS

I'm feeling especially homesick tonight so I thought I'd blog and see where this goes...

Yesterday, God sent me a surprise in the form of a dear friend from the True North who's been travelling Asia and happened to be able to come by my city for a brief visit. Brief is not a short enough word though to describe how momentary the four hour visit was. Four hours was only long enough to grab lunch, pass through a local park, breeze through some of my teammate's apartments and spend some time in musical worship with the rest of my team. Somewhere in there, we managed to have maybe 7 minutes of private conversation.

It's gotten me thinking though... dear friends are hard to come by. Especially when you're living in another part of the world. Time together is so very precious - and when there is distance, so very rare. So I look forward to being back in Toronto this summer, but at the same time, I dread moving away again.

Such is the life I've chosen. Such is the life I've been called to.

I can't say it's easy or that my heart doesn't ache. I can't pretend I'm a hero. I can only take comfort in the fact that Jesus is the one Friend who will never be separated from me and trust that the ache is familiar to Him too.

To those back home: I miss you all so much. Your smiles, your voices, your hugs, your presence.

To the dear friend mentioned: Thank you for being a beam of sunlight poking into my world. It really was a delight to see you. Next time you come, it'll be for longer, right? ;)

"I tell you the truth," Jesus replied, "no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for me and the gospel will fail to receive a hundred times as much in this present age (homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children and fields—and with them, persecutions) and in the age to come, eternal life.
~Mark 10:29-30~

4 comments:

Rebecca Chan said...

olive, know that u are missed too =)
looking forward to seeing u this summer!

S.W. said...

hey! i got ur msg!
n posting my reply here as well cuz u probably check this more frequent hee =)

!!! Olive !!!
very happy to read ur msg =D
summer???
FOR SURE!
let me know when u r back
n ur busy schedule!
w/love,
mui ^-^

lynnie said...

Yeah I miss you too Olive. It's so weird not having you around. You know... I was pondering the other day that had you or I or Tim or Esther or blah or blah or blah (you get the point) not chosen to obey the Lord and go to Japan that summer we totally would have never met and become friends or even had the joy to share lessons learned from the Lord.

Any how... I was in the car today listening to a Christian radio station and the pastor was talking about how if we suffer on earth like Christ did we will be given the chance to reign with Him in Heaven.

Remember how about a year ago I was questioning that song with that line about reigning in Heaven and how I came to you for clarification? Well... I realized that had I never met you then I would have never gotten the answer to that question and it would have forever remained a mystery to me for a much longer time.

Anyhow… Keep being blessed by the Lord.

See you soon!

Xoxoxo
Lynn

tim chan said...

how did i ever miss this post? i'm thankful i finally did find it. it's nice to be compared to a beam of sunlight. and yes, next time it definitely will be longer.